One person was killed in a massive fire broke out at a building adjacent to Payal Cinema in Thana Road, Police Bazar, the city’s busiest commercial hub today.
Here Discussed About Massive fire in Shillong’s Thana Road:
- East Khasi Hills Superintendent of Police, Sylvester Nongtnger confirmed that one person has died of suffocation from the billowing smoke.
- The deceased has been identified as Sampath Singh.
- The fire started from inside the building at around 1:45 pm.
- Seven hours have passed firemen are still fighting to control the inferno till filing of this report.
The India Air Force, Army, Assam Rifles and State Disaster Response Force have been roped in to douse the fire. Source said about 50 air warriors and a crash fire tender have been pressed into service.
- Fire and Emergency Superintendent of Police Darwin M Sangma said the cause of fire will be known after further investigation.
About 20 fire tenders of the Meghalaya Fire Service were rushed to the area but their entry was made difficult due to the narrow road. The presence of a large number of shops and vendors on the road side made fire control measures difficult.
- Chief Minister Conrad Sangma has expressed concern over the massive fire incident and asked district administration to assess the damages and to assist the families affected by the incident.
“The Meghalaya Police Department, Fire Department, District Administration, Assam Rifles, SDRF, Indian Army, Indian Air Force, and Indian Army have all worked very hard and are providing assistance. to put out the massive fires together.” the fire and managing the situation in Police Bazar, Shillong. We appreciate their prompt action and their willingness to wait until this late hour. To guarantee that the region is entirely safe, efforts are being made. On X, Sangma wrote.
Meanwhile, the fire incident brought traffic to a standstill as vehicular movement had to be diverted away from the busy market hub and main city square.